How Do I fix Teamviewer not working?
TeamViewer is very powerful proprietary software that can be used for various things primarily for desktop sharing and remote control, remote IT assistance and so on. Additionally, in this Covid 19 period, it is being used for web conferencing, Online meeting, file transfer and so on. It is compatible with all the popular platforms including Windows OS, Mac OS X, Android, iOS and so on.
Time and again some users complains about Teamviewer not working on their work-station and they claim that “teamviewer cannot connect” error message appear on the screen at the bottom next to red light.
Apart from not working or connection error, some other common errors associated with Teamviewer are proxy error, remote control not working, audio not working, video not working, Temviewer not opening, connected but no control, install error and Teamviewer update not working. In most case, the causes for all these errors or situation are similar.
There could be various reasons for Teamviewer not working error on your work-station and it is very important that you pin-point the correct reason. The list of all the possible causes has been discussed below.
- Problem with DNS and Winsock: for many users, changing DNS address or resetting the Winsock worked. So, you can also try your luck with this.
Change DNS settings/Address
Change the DNS provided by the ISP and use different one. It is advised to use Google DNS. The steps had been discussed below.
- Open the “Run” utility box by pressing Windows + R key together. Type ‘ncpa.cpl’ and click on “OK”. This opens the Internet Connectivity settings
- The other way to open the connectivity settings is to open the control panel > change “View by” option to “Category”> click “network and internet”. Click on “Network and Sharing Center” button.
- On the internet connection screen, click on the “active network adapter” and then on the “properties” button.
- In the given list, locate “ Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on properties
- Go to General section, choose “ Use the following DNS server addresses” option and set the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server to 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 respectively
- Check the “Validate setting upon exit” and then press on “OK” to apply the changes. Hopefully this will fix the Teamviewer not working issues especially if there is a connectivity issue.
Wiinsock catalog can be easily reset to default settings using “netsh Winsock reset” command. The steps have been discussed below.
- Open the command prompt through Start menu. Don’t forget to choose “Run as administrator”.
- The other method to open command prompt with administrative privilege is to type “cmd” command in the “Run” dialog box.
- Type commands: netsh winstock reset > enter and then nets in ip reset > enter. A message similar to “Winsock reset completed successfully” will appear on the screen.
- Host file with wrong configuration: The host file contains details about the software connecting with the internet. In case if the details of Teamviewer gets deleted or corrupted in the host file, it will not work smoothly and triggers error message. The solution to this problem is to delete the corrupted entry. On reopening, the entry will be automatically recreated.
- Open File Explorer and visit the location C > > Windows > > System32 > > Drivers > > Etc.
- In case if the Windows folder are hidden, turn it on. The step is “View” tab > click on Hidden items checkbox.
- Go to Etc folder, locate the host file and right click on it. Open the host file in notepad.
- With the help of contrl + F key, locate the teamviewer section in the file. The teamviewer section starts with “#teamviewer”. Select the section and choose delete button
- Click on File > > Save and save the changes. Restart the computer once again. Hopefully, the teamviewer not working issue will get solved.
Try Adding an Exception for Teamviewer_Service.exe file
Sometime it happens that the security application recognize Teamviewer as doubtful and blocks it. Hence, you have to add teamviewer application and its functions to the exception or exclusion list of the anti-malware tool. For different users, the security tool in their work-station would be different. Some would have Kaspersky while other would have AVG. But the steps to add exception for certain files or commands are similar.
- Open the anti-virus user interface by double clicking on its icon
- You have to locate the Exceptions or Exclusions settings. It is different for different anti-malware tool. With Kaspersky, it is at Kaspersky Internet Security: Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add. For AVG, it is at AVG: Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions. For Avast, it is Avast: Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions. Likewise, if there is any other security application, then you can search their exception or exclusion settings location and command over internet.
- The next step is to add Teamviewer_Service.exe executable.
- Hopefully, you will be able to connect and use Teamveiwer without any errors. Try re-start the PC if the problem still persists.
Allows Windows Defender Firewall to Work
Like any third-party anti-malware tool such as Kespersky, AVG, Avast, the default Microsoft security application called Windows Defender Firewall can also interrupt the Temviewer performance especially related to connectivity. Hence it is better that you make an exception for Teamveiwer_Service.exe executable file in Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on Start button and search for “Control Panel”
- In the control panel window, locate the “Windows Defender Firewall” option
- In the Windows Defender Firewall options, choose “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” option. The list of all the installed application will be shown. Get the “Administrator privilege” by using “Change Setting” at the top of the screen. You can locate the teamviewer executable. In case if it is not locatable then click on “Allow another app” button.
- Navigate the TeamViewer location which is by default C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer and select Teamviewer_Service.exe file
- Select the “Network Type” button at top and check the boxes next to it. (Public as well as Private).
- The next step is to restart the computer. Hopefully, this will fix the teamviewer not working issues for you.
Revert Back to the Old Interface of Teamviewer
User interface doesn’t directly affect the application especially those related to connectivity, malfunctioning and so on. However, sometime it simply works when you revert back to the older user interface of any application. For teamviewer, you can change the user interface settings with the help of steps below.
- Open the teamviewer interface
- On the top of home screen, go to Extras > Options
- In the newly opened window, go the left corner and select “advanced” tab. In the “General Advanced Settings”, uncheck the box next to “User new user interface” and click on “OK”.
- Again, the next steps is to restart the PC and see whether the issues like teamviewer not working or teamviewer cannot connect or related errors gets fixed.
Switch IPv6 to other internet protocol like IPv4
While troubleshooting the connectivity related issues of teamviewer, many users simply disabled the IPv6 and this worked for them. You can also try through the steps mentioned below.
- Open the internet connection settings through the Control Panel or by typing ‘ncpa.cpl’ command in Run dialog box.
- In the internet connection window, double click on “Active Network Adapter”
- Locate Internet Protocol Version 6 and uncheck the checkbox next to it and then press “OK”.
Hopefully, the steps and solutions mentioned above will be sufficient to fix any problem related to Teamviewer not working issues on your work-station. However, if the problem still persist then two more possible solutions (optional) has been discussed below.
Restart TeamViewer Service
Stop the Teamviewer service running on your work-station and restart connecting the Teamviewer from the beginning. This simply means that Teamviewer is closed and you are starting it once again.
- Go to “Run” and type “service.msc” in the box and press “OK”.
- In the control panel window, locate the Administrative Tools entry. Double click on it and locate “Services” shortcut.
- Find “Teamviewer Services” and go to its properties through right click.
- Stop the teamviewer service if it is running. If it is stopped then leave it as it is.
This is the probably the last thing you could do to fix teamviewer not working issue. You can reinstall the latest version and also get the patch to fix the issue you are getting.
- Open Start menu and search for control panel.
- In the control panel, choose the option to uninstall a program in “Programs” section.
- Locate “TeamViewer” and then click on “Uninstall/Repair”. Follow the instruction appearing on the screen.
- Download the latest version of “TeamViewer” from its official website.