How to download/ install and update Display adapter driver?
Display adapter driver, or called graphics card or video card is a plug-in card in a desktop computer that performs graphics processes. It is an expansion card that connects to a computer to motherboard. It determines the maximum resolution, refresh rate and number of colors that can be displayed on the monitor screen. It is because of this piece of hardware, you are able to see any page.
Below you are seeing two examples of what a video card may look like inside a computer. First one is the AGP or Accelerated graphics port. Second example is the modern used PCI express, used for gaming purposes.
As you are seeing in the picture, there is a slot in the video card for connection to the motherboard. Display adapter drivers play a major role as an interpreter between operating system and the Graphics and Video Card. Or say, it acts as a communication channels.
Keeping the display adapter driver update is very necessary to make all the processes running smoothly. The corruption, missing or outdated driver can result into problems with the video playback, poor quality or erratic video display, video device not recognized, and even crashes or freezing issues.
Here are the four main driver error codes related to the display adapter driver with their meaning:
Error 1 – Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18) – The device is outdated or not configured properly.
Error 2 – This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1) – The device is missing or configured incorrectly.
Error 3 – The drivers for this device is not installed. (Code 28) – The device is not installed on the computer
Error 4 – This device cannot start. (Code 10) – This error means the driver is outdated.
When the display adapter driver is missing, corrupt or outdated, your OS will not able to perform with its best. You should download/update your display adapter driver to see the changes.
How do I fix the display adapter driver based issues?
When there is an update available for the display adapter driver, you should install it soon. Do the following steps to manually download/ update the video Card drivers:
- Click on the start menu and go to the Control Panel,
- On the window page appears, go with Hardware and Sound option,
- Then, click on Device Manager,
- You will see Display adapters option, click on the arrow to the left of the display adapters,
- Right click on the type of the video card you have, and then click on the Update driver software,
- Search automatically for updated driver software option will appear on the new page. Click on it and you will see your upgrade in your driver installed.
To automatically download and install driver updates, you will need to use driver download tool. Then, the software will take care of all the video and other driver updates. When you start experiencing common driver related problems after their updates, you can roll back to the previous installed driver version. For this, perform the following steps:
- Open Control Panel,
- Double Click on the Display Adapters to video all the devices under it,
- Double click on the device which is causing the issue,
- Click on the Driver tab,
- Now, click on the Roll back driver option and follow the onscreen instructions
Again, there is a device management tool that scans for entire computer and identifies all installed hardware devices and updates drivers for the identified devices.